Prioritizing diversity, in both backgrounds and approaches, the Summer Institute is open to:
- Currently registered doctoral students (excluding those in the first year of study), normally post-fieldwork.
- Postdoctoral researchers in universities, public and private organizations, research centers, think tanks, and NGOs.
- Recently appointed faculty/lecturers in temporary or permanent positions (normally within 3 years of initial appointment or within 5 years post-PhD).
- Other young researchers with an active interest in economic geography, broadly defined, and those new to the field. Applications from researchers in cognate fields are welcomed, and broad international participation is especially encouraged.
- Participation at Summer Institute meetings is limited to around forty. The costs of participation are normally covered (including travel stipends). Selection decisions are made by an international panel.